KHANH HOA — Two stelae that affirm Viet Nam’s sovereignty over the Truong Sa (Spratly) archipelago have been certified as national relics.
One stele is situated on Song Tu Tay Island, while the other is on the Nam Yet Island of the archipelago.
The stelae were built in 1956 by the government of the former Republic of Viet Nam, which ruled the South of Viet Nam between 1955 and 1975.
On each stele are inscribed the words: “The Truong Sa archipelago is governed by the Phuoc Tuy Province. The military mission for inspection and studies visited the archipelago on August 22, 1956 under the guidance of the Vietnamese Navy.”
Together with the stelae, the memorial site of Viet Nam’s navy ship C235 in Ninh Van Commune, Ninh Hoa District in Khanh Hoa Province, has also been certified as a “national relic”.
In the American war in 1968, the ship was on the “Ho Chi Minh Sea Trail” to transport weapons from the North to the southern battlefield before it was detected by the enemy. All the crew members of the ship fought against the enemies unyieldingly.
Speaking at the ceremony organised to grant the certificates, Culture, Sports and Tourism Minister Hoang Tuan Anh said: “Through the recognition of the sovereignty stelae and the memorial site of the navy ship C235 as national relics, the State and the Party show deep gratitude to the sacrifice of Vietnamese marines as well as the determination of Vietnamese people and soldiers in protecting the country’s sovereignty.”