Tuesday , April 23 2019
Home / Business / Nearly 2 tonnes of Chinese-made rubber-like squid seized in Vietnam capital

Nearly 2 tonnes of Chinese-made rubber-like squid seized in Vietnam capital

Hanoi economic police announced Thursday they had confiscated nearly two metric tons of fake dried shredded squid of Chinese origin, most of which made from a rubber-like material.

Hanoi economic police announced Thursday they had confiscated nearly two metric tons of fake dried shredded squid of Chinese origin, most of which made from a rubber-like material.
Hanoi economic police announced Thursday they had confiscated nearly two metric tons of fake dried shredded squid of Chinese origin, most of which made from a rubber-like material.

The products, stored in 38 sacks, were seized following a check on the B6 warehouse, owned by Duc Thang Co Ltd, in Hoang Mai District, officers said.

When burnt, the shredded ‘squid’ smelled like burning rubber.

Dried shredded squid is a common snack in Vietnam, usually served with beer or alcohol.

Hanoi police said the fake products originate from China, and were bound for transportation to Ho Chi Minh City for distribution before being discovered.

Officers also found 12,000 boxes of different types of medicine with labels in Chinese characters. The warehouse owner failed to present any papers or receipts for the pills.

The dried shredded squid were taken to the Institute of Crime Science under the Ministry of Public Security for tests on the same day.

The institute concluded that only 30.6 percent of the products were made from real squid, while the remaining 69.4 percent are of unidentified materials.

Doan Van Khuong, the manager of the B6 warehouse, confessed to police that the fake squid would be transported to Ho Chi Minh City.

Duc Thang Co Ltd accepted the contract even though the real owner of the squid refused to show any papers or receipts, Khuong said.

“It’s difficult to discover fake products like this as the squid is shredded,” Kieu Huu Viet, head of the anti-counterfeit unit of Hanoi police, said.

“Consumers should only buy squid in one piece from trustworthy vendors to avoid such a sophisticated scam,” he advised.