A 100-kg bear raised in captivity for over three years at a house in Ho Chi Minh City bit off an arm of a three-year-old boy on Sunday.
The terrible incident occurred in the boy’s house, located at 171 Duong Cong Khi Street in Hoc Mon District, at 3:30 pm.
At that time, the boy, known only as D., was playing with his grandmother near the bear’s cage when the animal snapped at one of his arms and pulled it into the cage through the opening between two metal bars and chewed on it.
A neighbor who heard the boy screaming and his grandmother repeatedly shouting, “Save my grandchild!”, rushed to the house and saw the woman holding him by his belly, trying to pull the little guy out of the bear’s grasp.
The man then helped the woman pull the boy back from the bear, but at that time, one of his arm’s was in the animal’s mouth and was connected with his shoulder through a piece of skin only.
“When I came, I saw the bear trying to drag the boy into the cage while his head was stuck at the bars,” the man recounted.
When the boy was rescued from the bear, his grandmother passed out.
Some neighbors then took him to a hospital for emergency treatment while others electrocuted the bear to take the boy’s arm out of the animal’s mouth.
His parents were away from home during the incident.
Some similar cases have happened in recent times.
On April 28, 2014, a bear raised in the garden of a house in the northern province of Quang Ninh chewed off the lower part of the left arm of a 28-month-old boy when he put his arm into its cage.
In another case, a five-year-old boy lost both his hands to a bear when he placed them into the beast’s cage in his uncle’s house in Phu Tho Province, also in northern Vietnam, on September 10, 2013.